Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Identity

 The organizers of the Vanderbilt Kleist Conference (April 2011) sent photos from the event as they try to pry the last manuscripts from delinquent scholars for the proceedings of the conference.


Images of myself often make me wonder about identity; and these were no exception.


Who am I in the context of painted koi, listening to a paper on Kleist? Who am I while reading a paper I have written? Who am I in an unaccustomed suit and tie?


Am I, in other words, who I appear to be? Am I the sum of what I'm thinking at the moment? Am I what I look like? Am I what I produce?


And if the latter is the case, then I'm as much the woodpile I stacked yesterday morning as I am the paper on "Erection as Assertion" that will be published next year.

3 comments:

* said...

cool, you got long hair. that's identity too. probably never does go well with suits and ties, at least not psychologically but what the hell. you look so respectable on the picture. and maybe you're the sum of what you thought and not just at the moment. the sum is the thoughts and then a koi or two.

* said...

cool, you got long hair. that's identity too. probably never does go well with suits and ties, at least not psychologically but what the hell. you look so respectable on the picture. and maybe you're the sum of what you thought and not just at the moment. the sum is the thoughts and then a koi or two.

michael morrow said...

nice scott right up my alley half full glass darkly, none of which...finding identity...then it's gone again...like last time I came in from cold, hair-brained thoughts....

somehow making sense matters then its gone, scott...all gone to next possibility, Identity..upper case..michael...lower case..I know you abbott...expect where i dont and shouldnt anyway...I like what I know....mainly cause its me like best...but what the fuck...who knows beyond...as if...just say'n