Friday, October 28, 2011

Worse than Hives

I had just finished an article about Heinrich von Kleist's story the "Marquise von O. . ." and needed the critical editions of Schopenhauer, Wilhelm von Humboldt, and Herder for the citations. Deadline for publication this coming Monday.


My choices? Drive to the University of Utah on a Friday afternoon and fight rush-hour traffic on the way home or drive across town to BYU.


Despite the fact that I get (psychological) hives when I step onto the campus where I taught for 11 years, largely a result of memories of academic freedom violations that drew a strong censure by the AAUP investigators Sam Rushforth and I and others invited to campus, I chose what seemed the easier option and headed down University Parkway toward BYU.


Big mistake!


Traffic slowed down near the BYU stadium and I slowed down too. Behind me I could see a car accelerating instead of slowing. I did the only thing I could: honked. It didn't help a bit. The other car crashed into me, knocking me into the car in front of me so hard that it hit the car in front of it.


It was a Mercury behind me. Its entire engine compartment was destroyed -- liquids leaking everywhere. My Subaru, built higher than the Mercury, took its damage underneath and throughout the frame.


Doors that won't open. Muffler mashed up against the frame. And when I finally drove away, trouble with the drive train.


Moral of this story: stay away from BYU.

3 comments:

michael morrow said...

thanks for the tip bro...wish you would have called me before you made that fateful choice....I would have kindly bore my testimony about such a dark and scary dilemma......

on a kinder note.....sorry to hear the crashing news...maybe get yourself a new ride....maybe a new bike is in order...with a helmet and thick rubber bumpers.....

* said...

you're ok?

all the things one does for books....

Scott Abbott said...

yes, i'm physically okay. a little whiplash, a slight headache, both gone this morning. but that was a good old car that has taken me from alaska to california to kansas to arizona to arizona to montana and everywhere inbetween.

i don't want a new ride, Michael, but your testimony might have helped me make a better decision.

and i still don't have the books!

Ueber die Verschiedenheit des menschlichen Fahfvermoegens und ihr Einfluss auf Buecher und Menschen.

maybe