Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Barbed-Wire Research in Boston

Lyn and I have been working for two days now in the Harvard's Baker Business Library.

We have collected hundreds of images of trade cards, barbed-wire journals, trade catalogues, and so on.

The photos I've taken with a digital camera are protected, for research only, so I won't post any of them here.

But the archives of the American Steel & Wire company are so full of good things that I' wanted to post at least one image.

As you can see, the image of choice is a wonderful section of marbled endpaper. The book is a leatherbound accounting book that lists, month by month in 1884-5, the manufacture and sales of Glidden barbed wire. The numbers are in the millions of tons. But for me the true beauty of this book is in the endpapers.

No comments: